Thursday, December 16, 2010

Nick Sessanna CRS 302w Fall 2010 Songwriting

Earlier on in the semester, my group did a demonstration of the idea box, a fun, divergent tool used to provide the user with several different options for the problem at hand. I decided to take my expertise with this tool and put it to good use.

I was bored and I decided to use the idea box as a way to jumpstart ideas for a subject to write a song about. I gathered up everyone currently in my house and had them participate in a fun idea box exercise. I had them generate ideas for song title, song subject, and words I could use in the lyrics. At the end of the session, I had several different topics to work with, ranging from quite serious, to depressing, to humorous.

I decided to take it a step further and I made an idea box myself with more technical aspects of songwriting like key, chord progression, time signature, and song length. I then used the idea box to generate a few different options for what the song would ultimately sound like.

I ended up writing a song called “Rush Limbo.” The song is in 4/4 time, is in the key of E, and is roughly three minutes long. Using the idea box, I had to write a song including the use of the word “beehive,” “saline,” and “succulent.” Here are a few outtakes from the lyrics. “There used to be a beehive in this tree – I thought all I needed was some succulent honey…” “I felt that icy saline purging away my impurities”

No comments:

Post a Comment