Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Nick Kitzrow CRS 302 Fall 2010

The first qualified research article that I found that pertained to me and my personal learning is a piece called "Ambiguity vs. Precision: The changing role of Terminology in Conference Diplomacy" from Language and Diplomacy by Norman Scott. In this article Scott talks about how ambiguity can be beneficial because it allows each person their own interpretation of an issue. This is something I had never really thought about before. I never recognized how something that is open to interpretation can good, but the article explains how something such as a peace treaty can mean different things to different people, thereby allowing them to find meaning within an agreement and solve conflict. Scott says that in diplomacy ambiguity can be used “to allay anxieties on either side or to secure a margin for subsequent interpretation”. I never saw ambiguity as a useful tool before.

In an article in Time magazine by Kate Stinchfield called "The Science of Risk Taking" I have found that some skills are not necessarily completely ours to control. The article references research that explains why certain individuals are more likely to take risks. There are genes that change the re-absorption of dopamine and serotonin levels in people’s brains. The article said about serotonin: “The chemical helps inhibit impulsive behavior, and it could be in short supply in people who take chances”. I never took into consideration that there might be more to decision making than just cognitive skill, but this article has given me a new outlook on risk taking.

I found an article entitled "Creative Knowledge Environments" by Sven Hamlin, Ben Martin and Carl Allwood in Creativity Research Journal. The article discussed work-team environment studies and said “work teams should encourage diversity among members so that an element of creative tension exists and conformity is not overemphasized”. I believe this relates to my studies because the groups I have worked with in class have been very diverse, and I believe this diversity has made us more productive.`

No comments:

Post a Comment